This video provides a visual of the glassing process after you purchase you Photocloth.
HG Photocloth is a proprietary fabric printed using our exclusive process to produce graphics that can be laminated onto a surfboard. When properly applied, it produces a vibrant, durable, fully rideable piece of personal art. HG Photocloth offers more color, detail and durability than traditional rice-paper decals and is more fade resistant and detailed than fabrics using dye sublimation processes. HG Photocloth is applied during the glassing process. It is not a sticker or surface decal. The material becomes somewhat translucent once glassed. Stringers and base color will show through if not painted over before application of HG Photocloth.
BEFORE YOU BUILD THE FILE
Check with your shaper and glasser regarding file set-up and template. You need to know how tall and wide the board will be. It is also helpful to have measurements of the width in 6- to 12-inch increments down the board to determine curvature.
HG Photocloth is 24” wide with an active image area of 23.5”. There is no limitation on length, so you may lay out as many images into one file as you like. Some customers print multiple company logos in various colors in the same layout. We recommend providing extra image area for the shaper and glasser to be able to trim. We do not provide final trimming of artwork. HG Photocloth can be bent 50/50 around the rails.
Photocloth is also available in 36” widths for stand-up paddle boards.
FILE SET UP
• All files need to be in CMYK.
• For photographic or scanned work, use Photoshop flattened jpg, tiff or eps @ 100 dpi or higher at the final size.
• For line work, text or a combination of images and line work, we prefer an InDesign or Illustrator eps with all fonts converted to paths. Placed image files should conform to Photoshop requirements above.
• For Quark files, include all fonts. Placed image files should conform to Photoshop or Illustrator requirements above.
• Blacks need to be rich 40-70% in cyan, magenta and yellow, 100% in black.
SUGGESTED PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
Each shop has different procedures, so check with them first.
1. Lay Photocloth on blank. Mark and cut to approximately 1/4” oversize.
2. Tape oversize Photocloth to blank and mark exact cut with marking gauge. Cut exact size.
LAMINATING: (Sandwich Photocloth between layers of fiberglass fabric)
1. Laminate one layer of fiberglass fabric to foam blank (deck and bottom). Allow to gel.
2. Apply thin coat of lam resin over gelled laminate. Lay Photocloth onto wet resin. Do not apply resin on top of Photocloth yet.
3. Flatten Photocloth using dry 4” paint brush and/or flexible squeegee. Allow to gel.
4. Laminate as usual over Photocloth.
APPLYING PHOTOCLOTH DIRECTLY TO THE BOARD
If applying Photocloth directly on the foam of the board, first put down a layer of resin. Then lay Photocloth on top of the resin and squeegee. Make sure it is fully saturated. Allow resin to gel. Laminate over Photocloth as usual with fiberglass cloth and resin.
Always roll HG Photocloth when storing or moving. Do not fold.
All prices are in USD